Sunday, 3 January 2016

Ello! Erm from Ull!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dcv6GKNNwUsually Hull, (My home city) normally makes internet "headlines" for negative reasons; Such as apparrently being the least romantic city in the UK or even as extreme as the worst place in the UK (www.ilivehere.co.uk). With the most recent viral one to date being this idiot on the right, who was made an internet sensation over night with some footage which had been taken of him from a motorcyclists body camera with over 2 million views.

But upon browsing my regular news website Facebook earlier on today I came across something that for once is showing Hull in a good light. RoughsGuide.com has named Hull as one of the Top 10 Cities to Visit in 2017 2016.
This is probably due to us being names the UK's City of Culture 2017.

In hindsight, Hull like any other place has both its good and bad points, and I was pleased, some might say even proud, to see this being said about my little city.

Any potential visitors should be ready for our dialect! It's very unique, if your in need of a tour guide and traslator from your favourite blogger I am sure we could come to some sort of arrangement. Bazinga!

I may at some point add links to any videos I can find about the Hull accent, or maybe even post a few podcasts



But for now, here is a few pointers:



H - For words that begin with this letter, they tend to be dropped fully from pronunciation, thus Hull would become Ull, hello > Ello, Hand >And.... you get the picture. Hull must be the only place in the world where the 2 names Hannah and Anna are pronounced exactly the same.

Us Hull folk use the word Cunt whenever we are using the word couldn't.

Bains are Children.

I am going to = Amgunna
Half a glass of beer or lager - Arfa LargaI'm/I've  - Arm/ArvHaving - AvingHave you - AyerCrying - BallingBiscuits - BikkiesBreak - BrekBrother - BruvvaDid it not? - Dinntit?I do not know - Dernt nerrOh no - Err NerrCome here or come over - GerreerLeave me alone - GerrofGive me - Giz/GizzaGot a - GorraGoing to - GunnaI am not - A aren'tEar - Lug'oleNothing  - NowtEmpty - NowtinnitReal - RailCrying - RurinShut up - ShurrupTo look - SkegIs there something troubling you? - Summatup?Goodbye - Ta-ra/ TarrarTake - TekYour holidays/vacation - YerolidizYes - YissOver there - Yon side


**edit** 09/01/16 Hull is one of the top places to visit in 2016 not 2017 as originally posted.